( Monday, April 16, 2007 )

www.UPDATE.com

So it's been awhile since I've written anything on here. Two weeks, in fact. This is simply unacceptable. And it probably means you've been waking up every morning asking yourself, "What the heck is new with Kyle? Gosh golly gee wilikers." Or something along those lines. (Be honest, I know you say things like "gosh golly" all the time.) And who would blame you? I mean, my life is so exciting it's almost painfully boring! Who wouldn't want to hear about that?

Now, if you've quite finished rolling your eyes...

Let's see. Where to start. Where, o where, indeed. Well:

1. I finally got a chance to see The Pursuit of Happyness last night. It was such a great movie. What I loved the most about it was how genuine it seemed, and whats more, how hard it was to sit through at times. Meaning, it felt so authentic it was almost uncomfortable. It was inspiring but without painting a picture of a flawless hero. I really respect movies like that. On top of that, the story really got to me: a guy who's got nothing but does everything he can to make something happen. And I won't lie--I liked that it was Will Smith's son playing his character's son in the movie. I thought that added a whole other great dimension to it.

2. I just finished my motorcycle course yesterday, and am now licensed and legally allowed to wear leather chaps. (Or not...) Seriously, I cannot even describe to you how obsessed with motorcycling I've become over the last few months. My dad took me out riding a couple times last summer, and it was like I instantly knew I had to do this. Being on a motorcycle is one of the most fantastic feelings on the planet. It's unbelievable. I've always loved driving, but I think riding a motorcycle is like driving x's a thousand. One guy put it this way:

I never feel more alive than when I'm riding a bike. For me, traveling in a car is too much like watching television: I feel as if I'm viewing my surroundings through the end of a glass tube. When I'm on a bike, I feel as though I am actually there, experiencing the real world. Not only do I see my surroundings, but I feel them, smell them, and taste them. I feel a part of something larger, something complete, instead of feeling like an uninterested voyeur.
--Darwin Holmstrom

So ... go learn to ride a motorcycle. You'll love it. (Although I should mention, learning to ride is about 100% harder than I expected. It basically feels like learning to ride a bicycle and a car all over again and at the same time. And yes, I did become intimate with the pavement on one occasion. And as is my way, I was the one to get hurt. I have scabs forming on my leg to remind me of our brief affair. *softly crying*)

3. A couple of months ago I submitted a short story to a literary contest through my college, and last week I found out I won third place for fiction. I was really surprised, and also pretty happy about it. It'll at least give me a few extra dollars to help pay rent, which is always a nice thing.

The funny thing was, a week before I was complaining to a friend that I'd seen too many episodes of Seinfeld recently and I was starting to compare every situation of my life with something from the show (which was getting annoying for other people too, having to always hear, "Yeah, hey, that reminds me that Seinfeld episode where..."). So when I found out I'd won third place, my mind immediately thought about what Seinfeld had said about winning first, second, and third place (sure, he was talking about the Olympics, but c'mon. Work with me, people):

The Olympics is really my favorite sporting event. Although I think I have a problem with that silver medal. Because when you think about it, you win the gold, you feel good; you win the bronze, you think, 'Well at least I got something.' But when you win that silver it's like 'Congratulations, you *almost* won. Of all the losers, you came in first of that group. You're the number one *loser*. No one lost ahead of you!
--Jerry Seinfeld

4. It's the last week-or-so of school and I have homework coming out the wazoo (it's a common--and unfortunate--medical condition, apparently). Which is partly why I haven't written much as of late. The other part is that I just haven't. Which makes sense, if you think about it.

5. A friend recently introduced me to The Flaming Lips. So great! I can't believe I'd never listened to them before. I'm a fool, I tell you. A damned fool.

6. That is all. Go on about your business.

Post Script: (Technically #7) I apologize to anyone and everyone that liked to listen to the music I had on the side menu. It seems the website I host my files on got hacked and now weeks later has yet to get up and running again. So as much as I'd love to add some of the new music I've been listening to (such as The Field, Blonde Redhead, Cloud Cult, Anberlin, Lovedrug, Taking Back Sunday, and of course, The Flaming Lips -- all of which you should check out anyway), alas I cannot. Please forgive me. And the hackers. They know not what they do. (Well, actually, yes they do, and that's the problem.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Dear little brother, you're big little sister and your little big sister both think you are the funniest and cutest guy EVER! No, we are not in love with you, however do love you! WAY TO MAkE US LAUGH! And by the way, I expect a ride on the bike that you will in fact get one day!!
xoxoxo

5:40 PM  
Blogger Rougette said...

Hey, Blonde Redhead is coming to Vancouver! Should I go? Your radio blog hasn't been loading on the office computer for a couple of weeks now, so if you've got them on there, I haven't been able to listen.

Becareful when you ride your bike!! Or there may be no more little Stewarts to come. Motorcycles are bad that way. lol

9:05 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

hahahah little stewart's... hahaha... hey wait.. PROTECT YOURSELF KYLE!!!!

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home