( Saturday, March 31, 2007 )

Skillz

When I was in, oh, grade 3 or 4 I learned how to play the ukulele (in place of the recorder, thank Jesus). Our teacher taught us how to play the song Wipe Out--and with the ukulele behind our heads, no less. It was one of the crowning achievements of my young life. The little girls in the school yard were always whispering things to each other about me, like, "That boyee has some mad skills, yo!" Indeed, my ukulele skills had set me up to become the greatest pimp daddy that elementary playground had ever seen. Alas, at the end of that fateful year my family moved to B.C., where the ukulele had failed to catch on as a respectable musical instrument deserving of groupies. I eventually confined my little friend to storage, and watched as my "mad skills" faded away like the memories of my adoring fans.

After seeing the movie clip appended below, however, I am tempted to think the tables have turned once more in my favour. I must now seek out lessons to refresh what I have since lost, and again stir up the pheromones of the legions of ukulele appreciators awaiting my return to the music industry.

3 Comments:

Blogger Riss said...

Hey THANKS! I'm glad to know that at least 1 person thinks so. Your blog is pretty fantastical too. That's right, fantastical. I make up words.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Rougette said...

Actually, "fantastical" is a word.

But wow... yeah I've seen that video clip before, but seeing it now all over again just refreshes the wonder and awe with which I was initially struck. I would totally be an adoring groupie if you whipped out the mad ukulele skillz in my presence. I would consider myself thoroughly wooed.

That's hot stuff.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.UPDATE.com

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home