( Sunday, February 04, 2007 )

In The Beginning Was The Word

I can't believe it's been a week already. Man-o-live. I don't know why, but life seems to be speeding by. Everything goes by so quickly. Which is kind of an odd thing, if you think about it--how time moves at the same pace, but our perception of it always changes. Sometimes it "feels" slow, other times it "feels" fast; meanwhile, it's exactly as it's always been. Time is a strange thing.

(Case-in-Point: how does your perception of time feel now, after having read the above sleep-inducing paragraph?)

There were actually some good Word of the Day's this week, and I'm proud to tell you, my fellow logophiles, that I managed to fit a couple of them into 'real life'. Although most of the time I did it unseriously (add that word to your dictionary, folks)--but still, it's the effort that counts, right? Right. Here is my favourite:

cohort \KOH-hort\, noun:

1. A group or band of people.
2. A companion; an associate.
3. A group of people sharing a common statistical factor (as age or membership in a class) in a demographic study.
4. (Roman Antiquity) A body of about 300 to 600 soldiers; the tenth part of a legion.
5. Any group or body of warriors.

Although to be fair, that wasn't exactly a new one to me (don't tell me you've never been arrested and told to give up your cohorts...). So here's another good one that I'd never heard/used before, but, by definition, is something I do a lot (as you will have noticed if you've read anything on this blog, including this very post):

maunder \MON-duhr\, intransitive verb:

1. To talk incoherently; to speak in a rambling manner.
2. To wander aimlessly or confusedly.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my internet connection refused to work sun eve. I found 3 words I particularly liked, but I only slipped one into conversation:
gadabout. roseate and pellucid were nice too. as was moribund. I didn't receive either of the words you, my cohort in learning, included in this blog though. odd?

11:54 AM  
Blogger the Stewart said...

Yeah, gadabout was a good word. It actually made me think of a movie (I think it was Mickey Blue Eyes) where they try to teach him how to say "fuggeddabout it". Good times.

And that is weird you didn't get those two words. I think they were from Sunday and Monday.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home