( Wednesday, January 26, 2011 )

For Want of a Decision

I saw my life branching out before me like a green fig-tree in the story.

From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and off-beat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn’t quite make out.

I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig-tree, starving to death, just because I couldn’t make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.

(Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar)

7 Comments:

Blogger Miss Ruth said...

This is how I feel too...

5:21 PM  
Blogger the Stewart said...

Well, just think, that was written back in 1962. By a world-famous author.

Of course, the book is "fictional-ish". And Plath ended up sticking her head in an oven and killing herself a week after it was published.

Really, I think the take-home message here is, you're not alone. And don't stick your head in an oven.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Miss Ruth said...

Yes, this is true. My head will not go into an oven. :)

12:45 PM  
Blogger comrade said...

What a beautiful and thoughtful/thought-provoking quote. It is very much a reality of the human experience. Thank you for posting it. I believe I will soon check out this book and learn more about Sylvia Plath.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Aishah said...

Hi.

Wonderful writing, Interesting blog.

Sometimes I go by Forest Gump's Mama's 'Life is like a box of chocolate".

10:06 AM  
Blogger Inspector Clouseau said...

Nice work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the blue Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing.

8:32 PM  
Blogger esbboston said...

Lately my life seems to have been chock full of boxing matches.

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home